Thursday, December 25, 2008

Gaga over Vazaha

I recently spent some time in the Antananarivo airport here in Madagascar on my way to Cape Town, South Africa. While sitting in the airport cafe, I found myself eavesdropping on a family seated at the table next to me. The conversation itself was dull but they were speaking English. I found myself rather embarrassed at how intrigued and awestruck I was. It wasn't until that moment that I realized just how living in the countrysides of Madagascar has affected me. There were things that I had been conscious of previously, such as trying not to shovel food into my mouth with my spoon (the Malagasy utensil of choice) and saying very direct (and perhaps rude) things. Now, after weeks of speaking strictly Malagasy at a time, I find myself drawn to anyone speaking English. Chances are that I probably don't know them nor will I jump into the conversation, it's just nice to listen and actually understand the words being spoken, jokes and all. And if per chance, the English speakers are American, then it's like hitting the jackpot! I had hoped that my consciousness of these behaviors would help me to avoid falling victim to them. I now have a new one to add to the list, which should help me from becoming gaga the next time that I see a vazaha (foreigner)...

No comments: